This article describes a few Bolt use cases and provides links to recommended modules from the Puppet Forge. If you'd like some background on how Bolt integrates with Puppet, check out Bolt + Puppet = Orchestration first.
Automate and manage multi-step tasks across your Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform cloud infrastructure.
Forge modules for cloud automation
- puppetlabs/docker: installs and manages docker
- puppetlabs/kubernetes: installs and configures a Kubernetes cluster
- puppetlabs/terraform: generates Bolt inventory from Terraform statefiles. See provision with Terraform + Puppet to learn how to connect Terraform provisioning to ongoing management with Puppet and Bolt.
- puppetlabs/azure_arm: manages Azure ARM Resources
Network device automation
Perform ongoing maintenance of existing network devices with Bolt Network Device Automation — easily manage and patch network switches, routers, and firewalls. Check network device versions, change a Quality of Service setting on a router, add or remove firewall rules, and save configurations on switches.
Forge modules for network device automation
- puppetlabs/cisco_ios: manages Cisco Catalyst (IOS, IOS-XE)
- puppetlabs/panos: manages Palo Alto firewalls
Use Bolt Operations Monitoring to spin up and utilize a Telegraf, InfluxDB, and Grafana (TIG) stack to monitor and visualize system metrics such as Disk IO, CPU usage, and network throughput across your infrastructure.
Forge modules for operations monitoring
- puppetlabs/grafana: provides Grafana, a dashboard and graph editor for Graphite and InfluxDB
- puppetlabs/prometheus: installs, configures and manages the Prometheus service
- puppetlabs/telegraf: configures and manages InfluxData's Telegraf metrics collection agent
- mightp/influxdb: installs and configures InfluxDB
Remediate security vulnerabilities with patching workflows with Bolt Security Automation.
Forge modules for security automation
- albatrossflavour/os_patching: performs OS level patching through tasks and report on patch levels through facts
- encore/patching: implements OS patching workflows using Bolt tasks and plans
Database maintenance automation
Enable DBAs to perform ongoing database maintenance with Bolt Database Maintenance Automation.
Forge modules for database maintenance automation
- puppetlabs/postgresql: offers support for basic management of PostgreSQL databases
- puppetlabs/mysql: installs, configures, and manages the MySQL service
- puppetlabs/sqlserver: installs and manages MS SQL Server 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2019 on Windows systems
- enterprisemodules/ora_config: configures and manages Oracle databases and Oracle ASM instances
Operating system automation
- Patch systems automatically.
- Install packages onto systems to save IT time when various stakeholders make requests.
- Deploy new SSL certificates.
- Clear out log files when disks are full due to errors or poor log rotation.
- Gather information about systems, reducing the time administrators spend on getting details of specific services, versions of installed packages or hotfixes, specific parameters, registry keys or other settings.
- Reboot targets and stop services when a new application is installed, a process is hung, or other ordering reboots of a complex application stack.